Saturday 19 November 2011

Actors Portfolio

While I am hoping to work on alternative fashion projects after I graduate, I realise the importance of not just sticking to one style or genre of photography and hopefully a bit of diversity will enable me to expand my employability options.

With this in mind, when I was contacted by an actress looking for some new portfolio headshots I agreed to take on the task.

I did a bit of research into acting agencies and found that although there was a specific standard, I needed to ensure that I produced images that would be acceptable to the actors own agency.


http://www.brownandsimcocks.co.uk/index.php


I asked her to confirm her agencies requirements and she stated that she needed some plain headshots, both colour and black & white, on a black background, one with make up and one without. The images would be mainly for her online portfolio but she also wanted some for her printed book.

I booked the digital studio as I did not need the space of the main one and made arrangements for the shot to take place early in the morning. After discussing her requirements and looking at other examples on line I concluded that a beauty dish utilising butterfly lighting would work well, although I may need some fill light. In addition, using an aperture of f11-Ff6 would give me the image sharpness that was needed. Due to the early start I was unable to use the Digital Back so I used a 5D MK II for the shoot.

After setting up the lights I then did a lighting test and grey card shot to ensure the correct exposure and colour balance. I then checked with the client that I was capturing the kind of images she required and proceeded with the shoot.

After the shoot I converted preview images from the RAW files and emailed these to the client so that she could pick out the ones she wanted. Once this had been done I converted the RAW files and processed the images. There was very little retouching work apart from stray hair and spot removal. Once completed, I supplied high resolution and web-sized colour and black & white images on a CD. The 'client' was really happy with the images and the only way they could be improved would be to use the digital back but this was not possible on this occasion.





No comments:

Post a Comment