Sunday 20 November 2011

Fashion and Beauty Shoot

Following on from my recent 'Steampunk' shoot for Assignment One, I shot a fashion and Beauty set with the same model.

Since my lighting course with Julian Kilsby I have been trying to concentrate on getting high quality lighting on all my studio shoots. To achieve this I have used a combination of hard and soft lighting and backlighting to get the required look.

This shoot used the infinity curve in the main studio, two backlights behind black polyboards (to reduce the reflection of light onto the background), a fine honeycomb grid (at 45 degrees to the model) as the main light and a large softbox six feet behind the grid to provide fill.

Each light was individually metered to get f8 for the grid and backlights and f4 for the fill light. Another meter reading was taken with all the lights in operation. I needed to experiment with the placement of the radio trigger as all four lights did not trigger at first and I ended up with the radio trigger in one of the backlights which ensured that all lights operated correctly.

After the lights were set up I adjusted the position of the model to get the correct exposure and then took some test shots and the grey card shot.

The Model is Natalie Powers and the MUA is Ces Bradbury.












































I was really pleased with how this shoot turned out and the lighting looked exactly as I had hoped it would. The combination of hard and soft light, together with a slightly cool colour temp on the post-production side of things works well for this model and the make up and styling. I was also happy with my retouching work on this set and it is more indicative of the standard I am looking to achieve. If I could go back and reshoot to improve I would look at slightly adjusting the left backlight to give me a more dramatic effect but apart from that, I wouldn't change anything else regarding the shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment